- Take Action
- Single-use Plastic
- Take Action
Plastic-Free Grocery Stores
As more Canadians take action to reduce their plastic footprint, bulk and plastic-free stores are becoming very popular across the country. This resource provides a list of plastic-free grocery stores across Canada. Know of a store not mentioned on the list? Let us know!
Nada Grocery is a package-free grocery store on a mission to connect people to their food
Address: 675 E Broadway Vancouver, BC V5T 1X7
Zero Waste Emporium
Zero Waste Emporium provides an enjoyable and affordable package free shopping experience in Victoria, BC. Bring any of your clean and dry containers from home, or borrow one from their “take a jar, leave a jar” baskets. Feel good about grocery shopping without creating any waste!
Address: 1728 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC V8W 2G7
Re:Plenish officially opened its doors Jan. 4, 2020. Currently open on weekends only, Re-Plenish features locally made products, biodegradable personal items like toothbrushes and cotton swabs, and bulk refills of household liquids like shampoo, conditioner and dish soap.
- Waste-free options for home and personal care products. Products with zero packaging, compostable, or reusable packaging.
- Bulk refills for home and personal care products. Customers can purchase one of their containers or refill one from home.
- Re:Plenish focuses on members of the Edmonton community who are creating sustainable products.
Address: 9803 47 Ave NW, Edmonton AB
Canary believes it should be easy to shop sustainably. When you visit their refillery, you can bring your own containers with you to refill quality cleaners, soaps and personal care products without all of the packaging waste. Canary also offers a curated selection of low impact lifestyle items that are sustainably sourced alternatives to plastic and single-use products.
Refill Zerowaste Market
Refill Zerowaste Market, is a liquid bulk refillery located in the Spence Neighbourhood of Winnipeg. Our store, online only for now, will carry everything from shampoo & conditioner to all purpose cleaners.
Address: 634 Notre Dame Ave, Winnipeg, MB R3B 1S9
Unboxed Market is the first zero waste store located in Toronto, Ontario. Unboxed Market offers daily groceries, bulk goods, and home care products.
Address: 1263 Dundas St W, Toronto, ON
Bare market is your plastic-free, one-stop shop. You can expect to find:
- Body care: bulk shampoo, body lotion, makeup and bubble bath. refillable, bulk, locally and/or sustainably sourced body care, DIY ingredients, home care, and food.
- DIY ingredients: essential oils, butters and minerals to carrier oils, extracts and clays.
- Home care: laundry detergent, bamboo toothbrushes, non-plastic cleaning equipment, eco-friendly toys, and much more.
- Food: bulk dry foods, dairy/vegan alternatives, proteins, and ready-to-go prepared foods.
Bare Market has a BYOC (bring your own container) program. Customers can bring any container they’d like to fill up on bulk goods. Forgot your container at home? They have a bare lending program (because sharing is caring) to use a container for a small, 100% refundable deposit. Bring it back anytime – clean, dry, un-chipped and with a receipt – and you’ll get your money back.
Address: 1480 Danforth Ave. Toronto, ON
Zero Waste Bulk
With the increasing amount of waste we produce as a society, it’s time to change the way we shop. Zero Waste Bulk’s mission is to make it easy to live more sustainably with packaging free goods, local & organic products, and plastic free alternatives.
Zero Waste Bulk offers:
- Package-free bulk foods, soaps, and cleaning supplies
- Locally-made products
- Sustainable alternatives to everyday items
Address: 110 King St S, Unit B, Waterloo, ON N2J 1P5
Annex Market began in late 2019 as a solution for a local farmer who couldn’t bring organic beans to market. Annex Market is reinventing the grocery store by making local food and sustainable goods available to all at affordable prices.
Address: 783 College St, Toronto, Ontario
At NU, products are offered in bulk or redeemable glass containers.
For bulk products, just follow these simple steps:
- Bring a clean container from home
- Weigh and label your empty container
- Fill your container with product
- Pay for your product (tare deducted)
- Wash your container
- Start again!
When you shop the NU way, you create no packaging waste. Nothing at all. You also reduce food waste and save money because you only buy the quantities that you really need.
Address: 1130 Wellington West Ottawa, ON
Vrac et Bocaux
V&B specializes in packaging-free local organic products. The store offers healthy, local, eco-friendly products to Montrealers at affordable prices.
Address: 6698 Christophe Colomb, Montreal, H2S 2G8
Méga Vrac offers a variety of oils, nut butters and spices in bulk, and a small section of fresh food such as eggs and hummus.
Addresses: Méga Vrax has two locations:
- 2649 rue Masson, Montréal, QC H1Y 1W1 (Rosemont)
- 3562 rue Ontario EstMontréal (Québec) H1W 1R5 (Hochelaga)
This mini-chain of three Montreal-area shops focuses on offering healthy, fair-trade and local products. There’s Quebec wine, fresh produce and even kombucha-making workshops.
Addresses: LOCO has three locations:
- 7800 Bd Taschereau, Brossard, QC, J4X 1V7
- 4437 Wellington, Verdun, QC, H4G 1W6
- 422 Jarry Est Montréal, QC, H2P 1V3
First of its kind in the province, products are sold in bulk and customers take their own containers, such as mason jars, to fill at the store. Terraterre sells mostly organic products that are local or Canadian.
Address: 671 rue Victoria, Edmundston, NB E3V 3T3
The Tare Shop
This café and store combination officially opened in 2018, selling package-free sprouts, local lettuce, kombucha and even toothpaste in a jar. Their online shop offers items such as silk floss and vegan lip balm in a paper tube.
Address: 5539 Cornwallis St., Halifax, NS B3K 1B3
Prince Edward Island
Charlottetown’s first ever package-free shop, and Canada’s first zero waste online grocery store. Everything is sold in bulk. Unpacked stocks some items that do come in paper packaging, which is compostable or recyclable.
Location: 165 Prince St, Charlottetown, PE C1A 4R7