- Plastic Waste & Pollution
- Take Action
- Technology & Innovation
- Take Action
Provincial Day of Action on Litter
The Provincial Day of Action on Litter is celebrated on the second Tuesday of May each year in Ontario.
We are taking action to reduce the amount of waste going to landfills or becoming litter by bringing awareness to the impacts of waste on our environment and encouraging people to take action at home and in their community to help keep our environment clean and healthy for generations to come.
2020 Day of Action
This year, the Provincial Day of Action on Litter is May 12, 2020.
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, there are actions all of us can still take to put litter in its proper place while staying at home and physically distancing.You can do this by:
- Reducing waste: giving old products new life instead of throwing them away. For example, using old containers for storage.
- Diverting waste: recycling or composting materials when and where possible to divert waste away from landfills. For example, by using your blue and green bins.
- Preventing waste: stopping waste before its created. For example, by choosing to buy goods with less packaging.
- Properly disposing waste: making sure anything that does belong in the trash, such as disposable gloves and masks, is placed in properly tied or sealed garbage bags to keep our neighbourhoods clean and safe