- Single-use Plastic
- Plastic Waste & Pollution
- British Columbia
City of Vancouver Single-Use Item Reduction Strategy
Vancouver’s single-use plastic waste reduction strategy between 2018 and 2025.
The Single-Use Item Reduction Strategy includes actions from now until the year 2025 to reduce waste from:
- Plastic and paper shopping bags
- Polystyrene foam cups and take-out containers
- Disposable hot and cold drink cups
- Take-out food containers
- Disposable straws and utensils
We all have a role to play in ensuring this strategy succeeds at reducing waste from single-use items, enabling innovation, and driving further zero-waste progress. We can’t get there alone.
Did you know?
Despite their convenience, single-use items:
- Use a significant amount of resources
- Are often not reused or recycled
- Take up valuable space in our landfill
- Impact our environment long after they’re used
- Cost Vancouver taxpayers about $2.5 million per year to collect from public waste bins and to clean up as litter in our parks, streets, and green spaces